Thursday, April 12, 2012

Confessions of a hostess-a-holic: The How to's of being a hostess

*** This is just for those who don't know the in's and out's of being a host/hostess of a party. If you want me to add things to this, comment below and I'll be glad to share the information***


I learned from the best, so I really didn't need a How-to, on well, how to host a party. Thank the stars I had a mom who was the hostess with the mostess :)  But, not everyone grew up with the fantastic hostess mom I did, so here's a collaboration of tips I've found from various sites to help :)  If I know the source, I list it, if  I don't, I will if someone knows where it came from haha.


Ze la How to's of what to do for party hosting
Decide how many people you're going to have: Deciding who you would like to invite to your party involves much more art than science. There are a variety of factors you should consider when you and/or your spouse sit down to make out a guest list.
The first thing you need to decide is where you'll be holding your party. Will it be a house party or out at another location. The most important thing about this decision is that will tell you whether your guest list needs to be limited by available space. Obviously you want your guests to have fun, and part of that is considering their comfort, seating, and room to roam.
Before you go any further, it's important to set a budget for your party, and then decide whether you want to spend that budget on inexpensive refreshments and food for a lot of people, or more luxe goodies for a select group of friends.
Once those decision have been made, you should consider, based on the type of party you've planned, how much you can manage on your own. If it's a dinner party, are you comfortable cooking and serving a gourmet meal for 15, or does 8 guests seem more manageable? Or, can you afford to hire assistance?
Finally, and many people will say this is the most important factor, you need to consider the personalities of your guests** and who will make good conversation together, or be willing to dance, or participate in whatever activity you've planned. Your guests don't need to know one another, but they should be able to socialize in a mixed group if they don't. And, of course, don't invite friends who get along poorly with one another to the same party - that is unless you intend to make their hostility be the main event. (Borrowed from: http://entertaining.about.com/od/generalpartyplanning/f/guestlist.htm)
**Melly's rule of thumb with guest invites: Invite twice as many as you'd like to come, that way you end up with as many as you'd like to have.**
** Very important, almost more important than how many people you're going to have. Seriously. I've had some parties go south very fast, because of personality clashes. No bueno. :(
<--not a good look at a party, just sayin'.

2.  Don't be afraid to put on invitation RSVP's for people to list allergies.  I still make foods some may be allergic to, because others can eat it, but I usually put little signs on toothpicks with a list of ingredients, so that those that are allergic are well aware.  I do however, call people who've listed allergies to find out if it's an ingested allergy, or even the smell of something will set them off.  If it's a smell allergy as well, I don't make anything with that in it.
3.  Don't be afraid to let people know you didn't personally make something.  Nothing will piss off a guest, than finding out that something you claim to have made,  you actually didn't.  I went to a party once, where the hostess was getting raves for cupcakes she "made",  until a guest said "I'm pretty sure these are from xxx bakery".  The hostess had thrown the bakery box in the garage, where people were allowed to smoke. Party hostess foul in the worst degree.
4.  Be prepared.  I usually have 90% of my party stuff done the day before the party so I'm not overwhelmed.  Veggies can be cut and stored in ziplock bags with water in them, onions can be prechopped for dishes, and cupcakes or cakes can be baked up to three days before and still be presentable, if stored properly.  Why run around like a chicken with your head cut off the day of, if you can avoid it and do it before hand?
How not to look the day of your party.
5.  Ask a guest to be your photographer.  90% of my earlier parties I hosted, You'd never know they were mine, because I was never in the pictures.
6.  It's ok to ask guests to bring food/drink/paper plates/candy/whatever to your party.  Just because you're being the hostess with the mostess, doesn't mean it should cost the mostest either.  People will not be offended by you asking, either, so don't sweat that.
7.  Make sure your party theme is appropriate. This should be a no brainer, right? Well, for some believe it or not, it's a hard task.  If it's an adult party, then it should be just that.  Now don't get me wrong...if you have hired a teen to babysit, that is cool, as long as the babysitter keeps the children out of the area where the adults are at.  I've been shocked a few times, going to parties that are "adult themed" and seeing peoples kids swishing through adults in french maids outfits, or hearing inappropriate language for younger kids ears.  If it's a kids party, I feel, and this is MY personal opinion, it should be 100% kid party.  That means no booze. Sad but true.  I've experienced adults drunk at their own kids birthday parties, and it's not trendy, nor sexy, nor are you going to win parent of the year awards by doing that. Just a thought lol!

I'm sure I'll add to this, it's rather late now, and well, when it's this late, my brain turns to mush. Post below if there is something you'd like to add to this blog, and I will try to update it as we go along :)

No comments:

Post a Comment