Thursday, April 12, 2012

Cinco De Mayo! Ole!

With the next major party day approaching, I thought I'd start to google around a bit for party ideas and deco for Cinco De Mayo!!  I spent a lot of time in my 20's going out for Cinco De Mayo, and it was fun, but now, I prefer to do things at peoples homes, or host them myself.  This year, I won't be, because of school, but I will eventually host another one someday :)

Ok, let's get a move on with the deets. (Details) Hee Hee!
Invitations:
This invitation is a good example of what to get for a party. You don't want it to be too plain, yet, you don't want it too over the top either! You can find ones like these at this great site I found: http://www.papertrails.com/store/Fiesta-Grande-Printable-Invitations-by-Glad-Tidings-p-22024.html

Decoration Ideas
These are just too cute, and can be used in a variety of decorative ways. I'll list the ways I'd use them, but first here's the link to find them. http://www.amols.com/catalog/4-mexico-sombrero
I'd use them for:
Tabasco top covers
Place setting name tags
General table decorations
Randomly place them around the house on coffee tables, use wooden skewers to balance them in plants ect.
Mini Sarapes:
These could be used under plates for table settings, or for a fun gift item on the backs of chairs.

Mini Maracas!
These again, can be used in a few different ways: http://www.amols.com/catalog/maracas-pin
Napkin holders: Wrap a bright piece of fabric around the silverware, and secure with these deco-pins
Name Tag holders: Attatch to the name card before you set on the mini-sombreros!
Pin directly to the napkins

Mini Pinatas (Love these!)

These are too friggin cute, and could be placed on the dinner table, side tables, or inter-mingled with food dishes if you're doing it buffet style. Find them here: 

These napkins would be fabulous for your Cinco party! Vibrant is what it's all about!
Plates: Make them bright and vibrant as well


***Note here:  If you're going to do vibrant napkins, and plates, I would suggest using a solid color table cloth with vibrant accessories. You don't want to overpower your guests eyes with all the spazzing of color going on lol!***

Ok, on to MY favorite part of parties.....the food and drink!
Cinco De Mayo Tacos:
I'd make a variance of different tacos in Chicken, Beef and These yummy Fish tacos
You could always ask your guests to bring ingredients for the tacos, such as the tortillas, whatever toppings you'd like such as cheese, chopped onion, cilantro, ect., or ask them to bring a side dish such as Rice, Refriend Beans, Salsa or their other favorite mexican side.  You should always offer suggestions, so it makes your evening enjoyable as well, because instead of cooking 85% of the party, you can focus on the fun of having it. Isn't that why we throw parties anyhow? :)
Drinks:
We all know that Margaritas are a given, but what about other types of Cinco related drinks?
I searched a bit, and here's a few I found.
Horchata
This is a traditional drink in Mexico, and the recipe (found here: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ingrid-hoffmann/horchata-recipe/index.html ) is non-alcoholic, but I have added vanilla vodka to this recipe and it's fabulous :)
Mayahuel - a change from Margaritas!


Games:
I am not a big game planner at parties for adults.  However, some ideas you could use is:
Mystery Murder Cinco De Mayo Style
Charades - Making the cards people choose from mexican items or people
Cinco De Pictionary- same idea, as charades

Atmosphere:
Set the mood of your theme, with decorations, and music.  A ipod with some mexican music would be great, but you want it to just be that, the music.  It's easier to talk over music alone, than singing as well. At least in my opinion :)  You might have a hispanic store near you, that you can find decorations, music, and food, you just have to explore your options.

Hopefully I didn't ramble too much, and that you got some good information from me on Cinco parties. If not, I'll try the next blog post ;)

Melynda

1 comment:

  1. Great post. Love you covered everything. For those not born with the party gene this post shows that there's no excuse not to have a Fiesta! Just follow you're easy party steps and bam! you have a Fiesta!!

    ReplyDelete